Good sleep is essential for good health – mentally and physically – and if you are having trouble sleeping then it might be time to have a good look at your bedroom. There are quite a few Feng Shui tips that can help improve your sleep.
1. Use a bed with a solid headboard
This may sound simple but is definitely something that should not be under-estimated. A solid headboard provides support and protection while you sleep. The headboard should be firmly attached to the bed frame or the wall. It should be high enough for you to lean against comfortably when you sit up in your bed.
2. Sleep in one of your good directions
Each person has four good and four bad directions, which are calculated from the person’s date of birth. Considering that we spend 1/3 of our lives in our bed, it is important that we sleep with our head pointing towards one of our good directions while we sleep.
If you are suffering from health issues, then sleeping in your “Health” direction would be advisable. If you are a full-time parent, using the “Love” direction is great for you. For children and students, the “Personal Growth” direction is highly recommended.
Save the “Sheng Chi/Success” direction for our workplace, otherwise you might find you are not able to “switch off” at night and thoughts about work keep you awake.
3. Avoid the funeral position
Having your bed placed so that your feet point directly to the door is called the “Funeral Position”. This is an absolute No-No in Feng Shui as it is considered dangerous.
4. Place your bed against a solid wall (but not a wall shared with a bathroom)
It is not a good idea to place your bed in the middle of the room, even if this would enable you to tap into your good direction. Beds should always be placed with the head against a solid wall.
- This solid wall should not be shared with a bathroom though, especially if the toilet is located on the other side of the wall. The strong water energies can lead to bad sleep, headaches and even trouble in your marriage and other relationships. If there is no other way than placing your bed against the bathroom wall, use fire energy as a cure. Paint that wall red or hang a picture in bright hues of red above the bed. Attaching a mirror to the back of the headboard (mirror side towards the bathroom) will also help to push back the negative energy.
- Positioning your bed under a window is not recommended either unless you have heavy curtains or blackout blinds, so you can cover the window when you are sleeping. Otherwise, you will lack support and stability in your life.
5. Look out for poison arrows
Poison arrows are particularly disturbing in your bedroom as you are most vulnerable when you sleep. Please check that you are not hit by any poison arrows when you are in bed. Poison arrows are created by sharp corners or sharp objects such as sharp corners of cabinets or other furniture items, protruding corners, edges from structural beams or overhead beams.
If this is an issue in your bedroom, find a way to cover, camouflage or soften the sharp corners or move your bed.
My clients who suffered from poison arrows caused by the handwash basin in their en-suite bathroom reported an immediate improvement in their sleep as soon as they had covered the glass wall with a curtain.
* * *
Sleep really is important for your health and wellbeing and it could just be a small change or adjustment in your bedroom that helps you to better sleep and sweet dreams.
13 March 2023